Monday, June 1, 2009

Tragedy and pain

Two things I wanted to add/clarify from Sunday morning.
1) I think it was understood where our joy and satisfaction are suppose to come from... but I never remember saying it clearly. Point is: if we trust in the promise to come and are so satisfied with our relationship with Christ... if his promise of peace in our hearts is real... then we find all the joy we need in Christ and the hope of heaven. So we relate to sufferings in the light of a greater happiness.

2) Also I should have guessed that people would suggest that I'd be mad at my dad, but I never think that way. He may have made a sad choice but for me the world around him is the target of my anger, the sin and unjustness that brought about deep depression. If a little girl comes home and says she believes she is fat and ugly... I'd hope we don't get angry at her for what the world has unfortunately forced into her mind. A man who comes to the conclusion that his life is worthless is to be pittied even if he caused other people trouble because of his decision.

This in my opinion is an example of how the futility of life is a means that God uses to make us look to him. If he allowed this world to be full of meaning and purpose we might not look to him, the ultimate glory. But if this world is seemingly pointless, troublesome, futile and purposeless then we have a tendency to look up to him for help. This is what he wants. So my dad has never been the target of my anger... his story is instead a reminder that we grown inwardly and wait in hope for something infinitely greater than this and it makes me say "come lord Jesus, come!"

I'll post a link to a copy of my notes for the talk today and a copy of the sermon I mentioned by John Piper and
more about dinosaurs in the bible this evening here on the blog.

0 comments: